Australian and New Zealand Disney travellers, if you are travelling to Disneyland or Walt Disney World soon, here is a very useful list of current & upcoming Park Closures and Refurbishments.
Walt Disney World Closures and Refurbishments
- The Fantasyland expansion is currently underway and is scheduled to open in phases through 2014. Fairytale Hall will open in late 2013 in the former spot of Snow White’s Scary Adventure. A new roller coaster called the Seven Dwarves Mine Train will open in Fantasyland sometime in 2014.
- Main Street Bakery is closed for conversion to a new Starbucks location expected to open in early summer of 2013.
- Mad Tea Party will be closed from April 10 through May 22 for refurbishment.
- Cinderella’s Royal Table will be closed for refurbishment from May 13 through May 16.
- Prince Charming’s Regal Carrousel will be closed for refurbishment from May 28 through June 10.
- Carousel of Progress will be closed for refurbishment from May 13 through May 15, 2013.
- Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed for refurbishment from June 17 through June 20.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Treasures of the Seven Seas, a new interactive game is set to debut in the Magic Kingdom summer 2013. In the game, the fate of piracy in the Caribbean rests in the hands of new pirate recruits, who, armed with magic talismans and treasure maps, embark on five different pirate raids throughout Adventureland to collect valuable treasures, while Captain Jack Sparrow’s magic compass guides them.
- Temporary Character Spot location near the current location will be open for Guests to greet Mickey, Minnie and Pluto. The temporary location can be found between the restrooms and Club Cool. Relocation back to Innoventions West is to be determined.
- Spice Road Table, a new restaurant in the Morocco pavilion is currently under construction and is expected to open by the end of 2013. Spice Road Table will feature various small plates and refreshments inspired by the cuisine of the Mediterranean with seating both indoors and out. The new restaurant will sit at the water’s edge and offer another great view of Illuminations.
- Fountain View ice cream shop closed April 8 for conversion to a new Starbucks location expected to open August 2.
- L’Artisan des Glaces, a new artisan ice cream and sorbet shop, is slated to open June 2013 in the France Pavilion where the bakery was previously located. The new ice cream parlor will serve 10 flavors of ice cream and 6 flavors of sorbet – and for grown-ups, there’s the option of adding liqueurs.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Both the Disney Channel Rocks! show and the Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun Parade ended permanently on April 6.
- Disney Parks has announced a long-term relationship with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new Avatar land will feature multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements to bring the world of Pandora to life. Construction expected to begin in 2013.
- The Anandapur Ice Cream Truck, located on the walkway to Expedition Everest, will close for refurbishment from April 14 through May 23.
- New – Adventurers Outpost, the new indoor exploration headquarters to meet & greet with Mickey and Minnie Mouse, is scheduled to open May 12 in the Discovery Island section of the park.
Disneyland Closures and Rehabs
- Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries has opened at Innoventions. The new exhibit features actual set pieces from the film “Iron Man 3,” opening in theaters May 3. Guests will have the chance to see Tony Stark’s Hall of Armor, featuring Iron Man suits Mark I-VII – the same suits featured in “Iron Man 3.” And you will even be able to virtually “suit up,” yourself!
- Market House closed on April 15 for conversion to Starbucks this fall.
- Space Mountain has been voluntarily closed through an unspecified length of time. On April 12, the state Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) conducted a review of the attraction as a result of an incident in November when an outside contractor slipped on the roof of Space Mountain. According to DOSH, “During the course of the inspection and prior, the employer, Disneyland Resort, failed to provide guardrails on all open sides of unenclosed elevated work locations more than 30 inches above the floor, ground, or other working areas of a building (Space Mountain) at Disneyland Resort.” A Disneyland spokesperson has said the closures was not mandated by Cal/OSHA and was done to “re-review Disneyland’s safety protocols for cast members and contractors.”
- Fantasyland Theatre will be closed for refurbishment and the addition of a new show until May 25. When the theater reopens, it will offer a spectacular live entertainment experience, “Mickey and the Magical Map.”
- Troubadour Treats will be closed for refurbishment through May 22.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment from January 7 through October 30.
Disney’s California Adventure Closures and Refurbishments
- Currently there are ne scheduled refurbishments.
Click here to read Special Events as well as Closures and Refurbishments outside of the parks.
To have the latest Disney travel news, discounts and articles sent directly to you, subscribe now to our Facebook and Twitter feeds and our email alerts. Or if you have a specific Disney travel question, please email Disney Traveller directly.